Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Look away from the train wreck..

Michelle Duggar is Pregnant with Baby Number Seventeen! - Associated Content


It seems the Duggars are putting their family size into the hands of God.
They searched the scriptures and found that God says, :"Lo, children are an
heritage of the Lord: & the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are
in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that
hath his quiver full of them" (Psalms 127:3-5)


I don't buy into the whole quiverful thing. Not saying it's wrong. Just saying I better be one hell of a shot 'cause my quiver's not gonna have enough arrows that I can miss a lot... and I'm not that coordinated reproductively or otherwise.

But that's not what I'm here to write about.

I want to write about birth control. So the whole Duggar quote seems only appropriate.. after all, what goes together better than Duggars and birth control?

I like the idea of leaving my birth control up to God.. and not just 'cause I'm too lazy to remember to take a pill every day*. True, the whole "let go and let God" mentality doesn't entirely square with the concept of assisted reproduction, but hey - even the Big Guy gets busy sometimes. I prefer to think of it as "God helps those who helps themselves".

Totally veering off track here. Again.

Back to birth control.

I'm at a loss about this, and I'll need to have a definite answer in less than a year. Since I suck at big decisions, I'm thinking ahead now.

I always figured the nature of our fertility kind of relieved us from ever needing to worry about birth control.. but now I'm not so sure.

I intend to breastfeed RiceCake. (hear me out, it's pertinent)

I will not even attempt to get pregnant without metformin, nor will I risk a met-free 'oops'. Can you really call it an oops if it's unprotected and relying-on-PCOS to keep me infertile sex?

I am not comfortable taking metformin while breastfeeding a small baby.

Therefore, I need some birth control.

I'm considering 'natural family planning'. In general, it wouldn't be effective for us, what with my wonky and irregular cycles, and our total lack of self-control, but we tried using NFP to time our intercourse to GET pregnant for a couple of years, and it worked pretty well at keeping me unpregnant, so maybe there's hope.

OK, maybe not- I am very serious about not taking the chance of pregnancy with uncontrolled PCOS.

So I need something. The easiest, and most obvious don't-muck-around-with-chemicals birth control is out. Latex allergy and all that. By 'all that' I mean spermicide allergy, too.

I'm scared to death of the potential for damage from an IUD, and depo is just evil-evil-evil.

So I'm just not sure. I know that initially we'll be using deployment as birth control, and after that I can probably squeeze a out few more months of lactational amenorrhea, but I'll be needing something. Maybe even before that. Have I mentioned I'm paranoid about PCOS and pregnancy? Yeah, maybe once or twice.

This whole birth control thing, it's just such a new concept to me... I went off the Pill nearly 10 years ago. It didn't take long to figure out that I probably wouldn't need it again to keep my quiver only half-full. Or a quarter-full.

I always said the perk of IF was that I didn't need to deal with birth control.. but now I'm thinking my particular flavor of IF means I don't even get that one, tiny perk. At least til Rice is of an age where I'm comfortable with the thought of taking met while breastfeeding, I just can't chance it.

It's a weird position to be in.


.. and I'm studiously avoiding posting what's really on my mind - ultrasound tomorrow.





* honestly in my younger days I had so many days where I forgot my Pill, I should have considered the whole infertility thing..

No comments: