Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Grapefruit

How come hormones and dietary restrictions are so incredibly linked in my life??

So I was working on my studies tonight (I'm close to getting my degree in Reproductive Endocrinology from Google U) .. and I learned something while searching for "estrogen side effects" - because, of course, any new medication must be met with distrust and wariness... and I learned that I shouldn't eat grapefruit while taking estrogen.

Good thing, 'cause I was thinking about squandering my two-fruit-a-day allowance on what is probably the bitterest* fruit ever invented.



* yes, I think I made that word up. ok, I know I did since I'm anal enough to have to run a quick dictionary.com search.

2 comments:

DD said...

That's why I pour at least 2 tspn of sugar on just one half...there's no restrictions on natural sugar is there?

~r said...

Sadly, there are restrictions on all sugars. And starches. And anything carb-o-licious. I'm insulin-resistant pcos, which means that if my carb/sugar intake is too high, my insulin is too high.

After the post-miscarriage "insulin probably killed your baby" discussion with my doc (he was more tactful, but that's the basic gist of it), I have a lot of incentive. It's the one thing I can control, so as much of a pain as it can be, at least I feel like I'm doing something.

Besides, blowing off my diet every time I get my period helps to take the sting out of disappointment.